Q: What is this place?
A: This is the home of “Winky The Face” – the first gmeme.
Q: The first what?
A: The first gmeme. Gmeme is a made-up word; it is a game – meme. Winky The Face (WTF) is a real-time, multi-platform, real world / virtual world Game & Art Happening. WTF is a worldwide demonstration as to how a certain idea or symbol can spread within a social media network and even a whole culture.
Q: Sounds fancy – how do you do that?
A: By using a symbol. The symbol used in the WTF gmeme is actually the logo, or maybe it is vice versa – the symbol became the logo. It is most important to state here that the logo is based on the grade f, a + sign, and a circle. f+ is the most significant grade in one’s life.
Q: How’s that?
A: When you get an f+ it means: “Welcome to the next level, would you like to continue?”
When you get an f- it means “Game over! System reset! Would you like to start over?”
All other grades are just shades of “f+” – you get to the next level again, but with more stuff.
Q: How did the name come about – Winky The Face?
A: If one were to look really closely at that logo and at a certain time of the day, and when the light hits it just so, one could see a face; a face, which is winking at you. That face, symbol and logo is called: Winky The Face (WTF). So, you take that symbol, set it free and just let it do its’ thing.
Q: How can I be part of this gmeme thing, this happening?
A: There are a few very simple ways of participating in the gmeme. It is all loosey-goosey and you can play it anyway you want to. Here are some ideas, or guidelines, if you will. In no particular order:
- Here on this site: By “f plusing” or ” f minusing” on this site. Most of the pictures on the site can be graded. Every visitor can either f+ or f- the various pictures in the different sections. Once a picture has amassed a certain amount of f+ points, it goes into the Hall of Fame. The lowest scoring pictures are the f- es and they end up in the Hall of Shame. Go click your heart out! Don’t forget that it is YOUR VOTE that decides what’s what. It’s not always like that in life, but it is like that here. You can upload your own pictures to various sections and let the world f+ u!
- Virtual world / real world Art Happening : Play an active part in the happening. The Happening is happening both in the virtual world and in the real world. Go and grab a Winky The Face avatar or profile picture, or whatever you want to call it – it’s an image of Winky The Face available here on this website WinkyTheFace.com or you can download one from the Facebook page. Armed with Winky The Face, you can change your profile picture in the numerous sites that use profile pictures. By doing this you will be part of a living multi-coloured wave of faces that will pass through the virtual world. Imagine the stadium wave during a sporting event.
- In the real world, you can print out one of the mini-posters and either stick it on something cool and take a picture of it, or you can hold it in your hand and have someone take a picture of you holding it. Do whatever you want, be creative, don’t just sit around asking – go do something.
- You can also f+ People, Places and Things with WTF. Take a look at our Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame.
- And of course there is “The Classic”. It is how the game began in the first place – Real time game of absurd check-ins on Facebook. All you have to do is check-in a nearby location with one or more Facebook friend(s) (without asking for their permission first). It has to be an absurd check-in as your friend(s) can in no way be there at that time. You are “f plusing” them, or doing an “f* check-in”. Sometimes, some friends will write back a “WTF?” You can write back – did you mean Winky The Face… etc?
Q: Do you know any Fun Facts?
A: Just one fun fact. The legend is that the first WTF check-in on Facebook occurred in Burbank @ the Yahoo building. The status was:”Searching for Google”.
Q: Why would one play?
A: If you have to ask, maybe it’s not for you. But here are some reasons, just without thinking too much:
The most important reason we play any game is because it’s fun!
It’s very easy to play – No signup, No info needed!
Don’t forget – You are playing in the first gmeme ever. You can say to your kids that you were there!
No one controls Winky. No one controls you.
We all grade everything, all the time! And we love it!
To show that we, humans, control the programs (social networks) and not vice versa.
You are an equal participant with everybody else.
So you can be part of something bigger than yourselves. That whole sum of the parts thing.
To participate in a virtual living Art Happening just by selecting a colour and a star, or a plus, or a minus. You just check-in and/or tag and that’s it… You become part of it, you can follow it and you can influence it in a personal way.
And, of course, for the honour and the glory!
Q: Is there any philosophy, any take away perhaps?
A: Actually, yes! Yes, there is a philosophy – We start with nothing … we add nothing, except an idea and a grade…. We give it a symbol… We move it around… and… The movement of the nothingness will be measured by the likes on the Facebook page of Winky The Face.
Q: How delightfully ironic…
A: Delightfully ironic indeed!
Q: How did it all start?
A: We don’t know, it was like this when we got here.
Q: Who is in charge?
A: I don’t really know… I think we all are. Do you really need one specific leader?
Q: No, I don’t. What do you mean “no one’s in charge”? Who controls Winky The Face?
A: No one and everyone. We all control Winky The Face, buddy.
Q: What are you guys doing here?
A: We’re just hanging out and keeping it real. We actually came to install the grading capacitor for WTF and now we can’t get out.
Q: Can I get out?
A: We don’t know. You are the first one here. Ever!
Q: Where is the contact page?
A: There isn’t one.
A: Because this is all we know, there’s nothing more to tell.
Q: What if I have more questions?
A: What more do you need to know? You’re all caught up, buddy!
Q: Anything else?
A: Nope… Did you f plus today?
Q: WTF FTW?
A: Winky The Face – For The Win
Q: C’mon, man, show me more.
A: Uff, you still here? Alrighty then. Click on the white Winky The Face below, but remember there’s no coming back, buddy :